Pandora

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Just Only Joe

The title of this blog comes from a childhood book by Jack Kent, called "Just Only John." When I learned to read, I pronounced it "Just On-(as in lightswitch)-ly John." In fact, I still pronounce it that way. I guess a good speech therapist could straighten that out. Hm. "Just On-ly John" is the story of a little boy who wants to be anybody or anything but himself. I think that's what attracted me to the story initially. Of course, it wouldn't be a good story if the kid never changed back into himself, right? Truthfully, I was actually kind of frightened at the prospect. Think about it: "Wheeeeee! I can change into a bunny! What fun! Oops, now I can't change back. Heyyyy, what's that guy in the orange vest doing with that shotgun? Uh-oh." Blam! End of story. On-ly John could have ended up as the undersleeve of Erin Moran's rabbit fur jacket. On the other hand, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad gig for 1978, minus the getting skinned part.

The tale of "Just Only John" had a lot of impact on me then, and now. It's certainly more fun to imagine yourself as someone other than yourself, now and again. As an actor, I don't deny that it was fun to put on chain mail and swing around a sword or to roll around in comic scenes with a scullery maid. Not that I'm not comfy in my own skin, mind you. But look at Halloween. The H'ween is all about being in someone else's skin for a while, right? That's why it's so popular.

As long as you can change back.

No comments: